In CBI Latest Case – The Supreme Court will hear on Friday a petition filed by Common Cause, a non-governmental organisation, through advocate Prashant Bhushan, to quash the “illegal divestment” of the functions and duties of the office of CBI Director from Alok Verma, calling it a “brazen interference” by the government in the functioning of the agency.
Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi on Thursday acknowledged the urgency of the issue, and tagged the petition along with a separate one filed by Mr. Verma on October 24, challenging how he was exiled “overnight” from office. Both the petitions of Mr. Verma and Common Cause will be heard by the Bench led by Chief Justice Gogoi.
The orders issued by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) and seconded by the Centre on October 23 had reasoned that divestment was necessitated to retain the credibility of the CBI and to ensure there was no erosion of public faith in the institution due to the persisting acrimony between Mr. Verma and CBI Special Director Rakesh Asthana, who was also asked to sit out.
The petition sought the quashing of the order of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet of October 23, giving senior CBI officer M. Nageshwar Rao charge of the agency. The CBI Director can be appointed by the Centre only on the basis of a recommendation made by a high-powered committee led by the Prime Minister and including the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Chief Justice of India.
The petition contended that the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act of 2013 had amended the Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act of 1946, under which the CBI was constituted.
Further, considering the fact that the amendments had substituted the Central Vigilance Commissioner-led panel with the high-powered panel led by the Prime Minister, any “transfer” or withdrawal of work from the incumbent CBI Director, that too, before his statutory two-year term ended, would necessarily require the previous consent of the PM-led committee as mandated in Section 4B(2) of the DSPE Act, the petition said.
Again, under the amendments, the CVC, under Section 4C of DSPE Act, has power only to recommend the appointment, curtail or extend the terms of CBI officers from the level of the Superintendent of Police to above, including the CBI Special Director, but not the CBI Director.
The petition sought the removal of Mr. Asthana and urged the court to order a SIT investigation into the unprecedented incidents witnessed recently within the CBI and corruption allegations levelled against senior agency officials.
Earlier on Thursday, Mr. Bhushan had orally mentioned the petition before a Bench led by Chief Justice Gogoi and urged the court to tag his petition along with the one filed by Mr. Verma on October 24.
In his petition, Mr. Verma has highlighted governmental interference in CBI functioning and lashed out at Mr. Asthana, accusing the latter of stymieing decisions made in investigations of sensitive cases even monitored by the Supreme Court. Mr. Verma accused Mr. Asthana of “concocting evidence” to impair his reputation.
Mr. Bhushan had earlier, in 2017, represented Common Cause in the Supreme Court in a plea to quash the appointment of Mr. Asthana, a senior Gujarat-cadre IPS officer, as Special Director of CBI. Common Cause had then alleged that “investigating officers in the Sterling matter would not be able to freely and fairly investigate the role of their hierarchical superior, who is known to be close to Sandesara/Sterling Biotech Ltd. and therefore, the institutional integrity of CBI would be compromised.”
Can Congress win the 2018 Rajasthan Assembly elections, or will it be the BJP again?
RAJASTHANI people are smartest one, in context of giving political power. They never allow any ruling party to have full power and hold. There is history of choosing alternating parties. This is the reason why no party claims Rajasthan as their main state. Ahead of Rajasthan Assembly Elections, this is our Ground Report.
In 2013 Assembly Elections and 2014 Lok Sabha Elections BJP came this time there is good chance of congress. However people are happy with government’s development work.
These are some of the points which causes win of BJP as shared by a people of Rajasthan to our team on Ground.
- BJP(NDA) Has Very Unique Marketing Strategy.(PM as well)
- All of the Cabinet Ministers are socially active which leads it to Target youth.
- Also having very good involvement of trending matter whereas opponent used to run-away from situation (nothing to brag about here)
- Already we’ve seen so many big marginal victories in many big states.
- After urban areas it now covering all the rural areas now!
- As numbers of voters are increasing day by day we can conclude that people are getting aware and started taking interest in polity.
Our Team had a conversation with number of people on Ground. What TUP has learned here is that there are some initiatives which BJP has under its belt to show off. Like Bhamashah Health Insurance, Digitization of services, Sampark Portal, Water conservation schemes, Scholarship of General Category students and few more.
- Rajasthan is a unique state where power is alternating between Congress and BJP. In 2013 Ashok Ghelot, lost the election even though he had some creditable performance in some sectors. But his complete neglect of infrastructure cost him his election. Also struggles within the party made his cause difficult.
- Vasundara Raje has been successful in giving highest importance to development of the state. She is able to bring the state on the road of development. In Skill Development Rajasthan stands first on all India level. While in investment Rajasthan is third as per RBI. As per World Bank Rajasthan is sixth in ease of doing business. In Solar Energy development Rajasthan stands first. Also stands first nationally in building toilets under Swatch Bharath Abhyan. All these achievements are only the beginning of a change in development witnessed in the state. The present BJP government is riding high on its development or Vikas.
- Unlike in 2013, in 2018 assembly election, a new issue having very wide ramifications has cropped up under the film Padmavati. The dream scene, the dance of Padmavati, the sequence of seeing the reflection of princess Padmavati through the mirror when no mirror was invented at that time, became contentious issues which Rajputs under Karni Sena, are against. This has given a handle to the BJP, government. How far this will affect the election or help BJP is a moot question.
- Unlike Ashok Ghelot and Sachin Pilot who had to face internal sabotage, Vasundara do not have such problems. Secondly BJP is endowed with a Charismatic leader under Modi, whose presence itself makes a lot of difference. Thirdly there is no corruption case against Vasundara or her ministry. Fourthly the government is focused on development and they are visible. Finally BJP has a strong organization unlike Congress. Hence the contest will be close and unpredictable as of now.
This is a Public Opinion which TUP has got on ground covering Rajasthan Elections 2018 closely. Everyday there can be a new story a change but till now this is the situation and facts we gathered. Let’s see who will win Rajasthan Elections 2018 – BJP or Congress.
द यूनिवर्सल पोस्ट को राजस्थान चुनाव के चलते मिला एक बेनामी पत्र – क्या आक्रोश है राजस्थान की जनता में?
अलवर शहरी विधानसभा के चुनावी दंगल में उतरे भाजपा के संजय शर्मा और कांग्रेस से श्वेता सैनी
राजस्थान विधान सभा चुनावों का दौर शुरू हो चूका है। चुनावों के इस दौर में सभी पार्टियां चुनावी प्रचारो में जोरो से लगी हुए है हाल ही में छत्तीसगढ़ मध्यप्रदेश और राजस्थान में चुनाव होने हैं। और ये चुनाव सभी पार्टिओ के लिए महत्वपूर्ण मने जा रहे हैं क्योकि कहीं न कहीं इन चुनावों में जीत या हार 2019 के राज्यसभा चुनावों में विभिन्न राजनैतिक पार्टिओ की छवि से जोड़ कर देखा जा रहा है।
वही बात राजस्थान में अलवर जिले की बात की जाए तो अलवर जिले में कुल 11 विधानसभा सीटें हैं और इन 11 सीटों के लिए विभिन्न पार्टिओ के उम्मीदवार मैदान में हैं, पिछले आंकड़ों को देखे तो पिछले विधानसभा चुनाव में इन 11 सीटों में से 9 सीटें अकेले बीजेपी ने जीती थी वही कांग्रेस को एक और एक सीट अन्य के खाते में गई थी।
इस बार ध्यान देने वाली बात यह है कि अलवर अरबन सीट से बीजेपी की तरफ से संजय शर्मा चुनावी मैदान में हैं वही कांग्रेस की तरफ से श्वेता सैनी। संजय शर्मा बीजेपी के एक विश्वशनीय नेता के तौर पर 25 सालों से भारतीय जनता पार्टी में हैं शर्मा भाजपा के प्रदेश मंत्री के साथ साथ जयपुर देहात के प्रभारी का कार्य भी संभल रहे थे।
वहीं बात कांग्रेस की करें तो पहले कांग्रेस की तरफ से कहा गया की जितेन्द्रे सिंह चुनाव लड़ेंगे फिर अजय अग्रवाल कोंग्रस में शामिल हुए तो उनके नाम की चर्चा हुई और इन तमाम उलझनों के बाद कांग्रेस ने श्वेता सैनी को अपना उम्मीदवार बनाया। इस बार कांग्रेस के लिए यह मुश्किल हो गया है कि वो अपने किस नेता का नाम सामने करें की पार्टी को अच्छा बहुमत मिले क्योकि संजय शर्मा बीजेपी की तरफ से एक कर्मठ और सुयोग्य उम्मीदवार माने जा हैं। कही न कही शर्मा की छवि पार्टी से लेकर जनता तक श्वेता सैनी से बेहतर बताई जा रही है और इस प्रकार अलवर शहरी क्षेत्र से बीजेपी और पार्टी उम्मीदवार संजय शर्मा दोनों का पलड़ा कांग्रेस के मुकाबले भरी दिख रहा है। वही श्वेता सैनी के बारे में बात की जाए तो उनका रिकॉर्ड कुछ खास नहीं रहा है। पिछले नगरपालिका परिषद चुनावों में उनकी हार हुई थी तो हैरान करने वाली बात यह है कि इसके बावजूद भी कांग्रेस पार्टी ने उन्हें अपना उमीदवार बनाया है।